Here at Bunscoill Rhumsaa we've been doing the Daily Mile for a few years now - but just what is it?
The Daily Mile is a social physical activity, with children running or jogging – at their own pace – in the fresh air with friends. Children can occasionally walk to catch their breath, if necessary, but should aim to run or jog for the full 15 minutes.
- It takes place for around 15 minutes, with most children averaging around a mile each day.
- Children run outside in the fresh air - and the weather is a benefit, not a barrier!
- Children run in their uniforms so no kit or changing time is needed.
- It’s social, non-competitive and fun.
- The children return to class ready to learn.
- It helps to improve fitness and achieve a healthy weight.
- It encourages children to be aware of their health.
- It’s fully inclusive; every child, whatever their circumstances, age or ability, succeeds at The Daily Mile.